PHILADELPHIA – University of the Sciences Athletics Department is proud to announce that it has inducted three former student-athletes – Emily (Roth) Hand PharmD'08, Joy Aifuwa PharmD'10, and Claire (Tauschek) Martins DPT'11 – into the USciences Hall of Fame.
The three former standout performers, both on the playing surface and in the classroom, make up the Hall of Fame Class of 2019 and will officially be inducted in a ceremony in the Athletic/Recreation Center multipurpose room on Saturday, Oct. 13, at 12 p.m., prior to volleyball's 1 p.m. home match against Chestnut Hill.
"I am extremely thrilled for Joy, Emily, and Claire. Aside from winning championships, there is no greater achievement in collegiate athletics than being inducted into the Hall of Fame," said Marc Caserio, EdD, Athletic Director.
"As amazing as their athletic achievements are, I am even more proud of Emily, Joy, and Claire for excelling in their careers after graduation," continued Dr. Caserio. "I hope that they embrace this moment in time, because they have each earned this unbelievable accolade."
Emily (Roth) Hand PharmD'08 – Volleyball
After graduating from USciences, Dr. Hand completed a PGY1 pharmacy residency and PGY2 critical care residency at Duke University Hospital. She is currently the clinical pharmacy manager at Bon Secours St. Mary's Hospital. She lives in Richmond, Va. with her husband Jonathan and son Henry.
- 2005 CACC Player of the Year
- Four-time All-CACC; Three-time First Team (2003, 2004, 2005) and 2002 Second Team
- Two-time CACC All-Tournament Team (2004, 2005)
- 2005 Academic All-America First Team (Only First-Teamer in USciences history)
- Program's all-time leader in kills (1,544) and attack attempts (4,286)
- Holds program's single-season record for kills (598) and kills per set (5.16)
- Holds program's single-match record (30-point format) for kills (37), attempts (70), attack percentage (.722) and service aces (14)
- Holds program's single-match record (30-point format) for kills (21), attempts (51) and service aces (14) in a three-set match, kills (37) and attempts (70) in a four-set match, and kills (28) and attempts (64) in a five-set match
- Second in program history in kills per set (3.87), attack percentage (.272), digs (1,880) and digs per set (4.71)
- Sixth in program history in service aces (132) and block solos (127), seventh in total blocks (232), and eighth in block assists (105)
- Fourth in program history in matches played (112) and sixth in sets played (399)
- Appears in the top 10 of the program's single-season annals 19 times, in the categories of kills, kills per set, attack percentage, service aces, digs, digs per set and block assists
- Part of the team that reached the 2005 CACC Championship Match, the furthest USciences has advanced in program history
Joy Aifuwa PharmD'10 – Cross Country
Following graduation, Dr. Aifuwa spent the first seven years of her career serving her community as a retail pharmacist for Rite Aid. After faithfully serving this company, she left and launched her own consultant business, Joy & Wellness Pharmacy Consulting: a faith-based company that incorporates biblical principles into pharmacy practice. Dr. Aifuwa is a member of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists and has written over fifty blog articles, many of which are available on LinkedIn, Facebook, and her own website. In addition, she has recently published two books titled, "Charged Your Faith: A 30-Day Devotional for Your Healing" and "Bridging the Gap between God and Medicine."
- Four-time All-CACC; 2004 (2nd place), 2005 (3rd), 2006 (2nd), 2007 (2nd)
- Member of USciences' only CACC Cross Country Championship team in 2005
- Holds six of program's top-nine, and 10 of program's top-24, 5K times at home course Belmont Plateau, including the program-record of 19:27.03 that also ranks second in program history for all courses
- Holds six of program's top-11, and eight of program's top-21, 5K times
- Holds five of program's top-23 6K times
Claire (Tauschek) Martins DPT'11 – Volleyball
After graduating from USciences, Dr. Martins relocated to Miami, Fla. with her husband, fellow alumnus, Ricardo Martins ESWM'12. She currently is employed as a doctor of physical therapy at an acute-care hospital in South Florida, where she is the lead therapist in the Rehabilitation Department. Dr. Martins received the hospital Employee of the Month as well as the Outstanding Performance Recognition award from the Hospital CEO in 2015, 2016 and 2017, and in 2018 she received a Special Recognition Award for Extraordinary Support to the Nursing Staff, recognizing her outstanding contribution to the mission of the hospital. Dr. Martins is the loving mother of two children, Logan, nine, and Camilla, five.
- 2005 CACC Rookie of the Year
- Four-time All-CACC; Three-time First Team (2005, 2006, 2008) and 2007 Second Team
- Program's all-time leader in digs (2,132), digs per set (5.21), service aces (203) and matches played (117)
- Holds program's single-season records for digs (654), digs per set (6.06) and service aces (84)
- Holds program's single-match record (30-point format) for digs in a three-set match (30) and digs in a four-set match (37)
- Third in program history in sets played (409) and sixth in service aces per set (.496)
- Appears in the top 10 of the program's single-season annals 10 times, in the categories of digs (all four years), digs per set, service aces and service aces per set
- Reached 2005 CACC Championship Match, the furthest USciences has advanced in program history