Philadelphia, Pa. – The University of the Sciences hosted the Nyack College Warriors, splitting the CACC doubleheader on Thursday afternoon at Richie Ashburn Field. The Devils took the first game by the narrow margin of 3-2, before falling short 9-5 after a late rally in game two. The Devils out-hit the Warriors in their win 6-4, with Daniel Pineda leading the offensive charge going 2-for-4 with a run scored while Trevor Datz came up with two RBI's and a run scored. Nick Amicon found his stroke in game two going 3-for-3 with two runs scored and one run batted in. Three other Devils collected multiple hits in the second game, as T.J. Dezzi, Pat Hiester, and Frank D'Alessandro each finished with two hits.
Game One (USciences 3, Nyack 2)
- The Devils plated three runs early in the bottom of the first.
- The scoring started with back-to-back singles by Dezzi and Daniel Pineda.
- A two-RBI double by Datz put the Devils on the board before Amicon added the third run with an RBI single of his own.
- The Warriors threatened late, scoring a run in each the seventh and the eighth, but the Devils defense held strong to seal the win.
Game Two (Nyack 9, USciences 5)
- Nyack struck first with a four-run first inning.
- The Devils cut that in half in the bottom of the second, scoring two of their own.
- Amicon hit a ball sharply to right, giving the fielder some problems, allowing Datz to score.
- After Amicon advanced on the error, D'Alessandro brought home Amicon.
- The Warriors added a run in the top of the third.
- The Devils capitalized on bases loaded with a Dezzi ground ball to score Amicon for the second time.
- A Pat Hiester homer to left would be the final run of the day.
From The Mound
- Pablo Matos picked up his second win of the season in game one against the Warriors, throwing seven innings of four-hit ball and striking out six.
- Chris Geraci earned his second save of the season, allowing no hits with two strike outs.
- Eric Stratoti got the start in game two, tossing six innings and striking out one.
- T.J. Maiorino threw one inning of three-hit ball.
- Reilly Degen closed out the final two innings of the second game, giving up one hit and striking out one.
- The Devils will celebrate Senior Day on Sunday, April 24th against the Caldwell Cougars at Ashburn Field.