PHILADELPHIA – The University of the Sciences men's tennis team closed out its fall season with a 4-1 victory over Kutztown in its first-ever home match at the Hamlin/Hecht Center on Thursday afternoon.
With USciences needing to win just one of the two doubles matches because the Devils won the third flight by default, a Kutztown victory at No. 2 doubles made the first flight winner-take-all for the point.
Fittingly, that match went to a tiebreaker that was not decided until Kosiorowski and Nguyen prevailed 8-6 to improve to a team-best 3-2 together.
With USciences now needing to win just two of the five singles matches, after another defaulted victory at the sixth flight, Kosiorowski got the Devils one win away with a 6-3, 6-2 decision at the second flight.
Sahas Chandragiri then sealed the win, dropping just three games at No. 5 singles.
Kosiorowski and Chandragiri both close out the fall seasons with 3-2 singles records, trailing only Borna Markusic (4-2) for the team lead.
University of the Sciences now turns its attention to the spring season, with Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) play beginning at home on Wednesday, March 20 against Chestnut Hill.
1. Nolan Perugini (KUTZ-M) def. Borna Markusic (USCI_M) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jack Kosiorowski (USCI_M) def. Renato Santos (KUTZ-M) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nathan Nguyen (USCI_M) vs. Josh Carl (KUTZ-M) unfinished
4. Borna Novak (USCI_M) vs. Benjamin Kelly (KUTZ-M) unfinished
5. Sahas Chandragiri (USCI_M) def. Tommy Heck (KUTZ-M) 6-2, 6-1
6. Evan Halperin (USCI_M) def. No player (KUTZ-M), by default
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,1,5)