Philadelphia, Pa. - The University of the Sciences women's tennis team defeated the Rams of Philadelphia University in the opening round of the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference Tournament on Tuesday afternoon at the McNeil Family Tennis Courts. This win comes as head coach Jay Brennan's first tournament victory since taking over the program in 2012. With tournament rules shifted just a bit from the regular season, the two teams were playing first to five courts, rather than the standard best of nine. The Devils jumped out to an early lead, taking two of three doubles courts from the Rams.
- The pairing of Karla Miletic and Julia James picked up the Devils first win with a shutout win at 8-0 on the second doubles court.
- The duo of Jillyan Serrano and Gabrielle Soriano gave the Devils the 2-1 lead, with an 8-3 win on the third doubles court.
- Miletic remained unbeaten on the first singles court with a 6-2, 6-0 win.
- Elkanah Linder edged the Devils closer to the second round with her 6-0, 6-2 win on the second singles court.
- Julia James sealed the win for the Devils with a 6-1, 6-1 win at the fourth singles spot.
- Abbygail Gamarnik battled on the third court to force a third set that went unfinished.
- The Devils have advanced to the second round of the CACC Tournament, where they will play Goldey-Beacom College at 10AM on Saturday, Oct. 22 at Chestnut Hill.