Moy Registers USciences' First Double-Double of Season as Women’s Volleyball Makes Late Charge in Loss to GCU

Credit: David Broytman
Credit: David Broytman

PHILADELPHIA – Trailing by as many as seven late in the third set, the University of the Sciences women's volleyball scored six straight points as it looked to extend the match, but Georgian Court would hold off the charging Devils in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) action on Friday night at Bobby Morgan Arena.

Georgian Court pulled away for a 25-10 first set victory and would go on to score the first five points in the second to lead wire-to-wire for a two-set advantage.

The Lions looked to be cruising to a sweep after scoring six of the first seven points in the third set before eventually taking a 23-15 lead, but that is when USciences made its best move of the match with the six unanswered points.

After back-to-back Georgian Court errors, Brooke Witmer provided a kill to continue the momentum. Another Lion error followed before a Dakota Raymond service ace and Cassandra Moy kill pulled University of the Sciences within two, 23-21, for the first time since it was 9-7.

Facing a match point after Georgian Court (5-12, 5-5 CACC South) finally ended the run, Moy, Witmer and Raymond combined for a block to keep the Devils alive, but the Lions would go on to score the next point to close out the match.

Highlighting USciences' night was Moy, who registered her first career double - and the Devils first of the season – with a team-high 13 assists to go along with season-bests of 10 digs and four kills on .667 hitting.

For the third time in four matches, Witmer matched her career-high with a team-best five blocks while also leading the Devils by matching her season-high with seven kills.

Raymond also had seven kills on .217 hitting to go along with 12 digs and two service aces.

Rhiannon Comia led University of the Sciences with 14 digs and added a career-best five assists.

USciences (3-8, 2-6) hits the road tomorrow, Oct. 7, for a 4:35 p.m. match at Caldwell.