Our website uses cookies to ensure you get the best browsing experience possible. View our privacy policy

Men’s Basketball Surges Past CACC South Leader Goldey-Beacom with Game-Ending 8-0 Run

Credit: David Broytman
Credit: David Broytman

PHILADELPHIA – The University of the Sciences men's basketball team closed the game on an 8-0 run over the final 2:13 to surge past Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) South leader Goldey-Beacom at Bobby Morgan Arena on Tuesday night.

After the Lightning made two free throws to take a 69-66 lead with 2:30 to play, Paddy Casey tied the game with a 3-pointer just 17 seconds later. 

USciences would go on to force four turnovers and two missed shots over the final 1:50, with the eventual game-winning points coming on two Brandon Hathaway free throws with 53 seconds remaining after he grabbed an offensive rebound and was fouled.  

The began a stretch in which the Devils made 5-of-6 free throws to secure the victory. 

University of the Sciences made 20-of-25 free throws as a team, 80.0 percent, led by Hathaway going a perfect 6-of-6. 

The Devils also shot lights out from beyond the arc, 12-of-23 for 52.2 percent for their third consecutive game with at least 12 made. 

USciences had not made 12 3-pointers in a game since at least the beginning of the 2011-12 season prior to the stretch.

Paddy Casey and Sean Simon both made four triples en route to a team-high 17 points each. 

Tanner Kerr was right behind them with 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting, to go along with 12 rebounds and a career-high six assists for his sixth double-double of the season. 

Hathaway neared a double-double of his own with nine points and a career-best seven boards, while Brandon Starr had eight points and eight caroms. 

USciences took the contest's largest lead when Casey and Jordan White made back-to-back 3-pointers within 32 seconds of each other, the second making the score 24-14 with 8:10 left in the opening half. 

Goldey-Beacom quickly got back into it with six straight points, eventually coming back to tie the score at 27 3:31 ahead of the break and take a one-point lead, 30-29, 49 seconds later. 

University of the Sciences closed the half strong though, rattling off eight unanswered to eventually take a 37-32 advantage into the locker room. 

It took Goldey-Beacom 3:26 into the second half to come back and tie the score back up and from there, the game was played within a single-possession until the Lightning scored eight straight points to take their largest lead, 62-56, with just 6:44 to go. 

USciences would chip its way back to within one on three occasions, but the Devils could not manage to tie it until Casey's 3-pointer with just 2:13 remaining. 

University of the Sciences takes nearly a week off before traveling to Caldwell for a 7:30 pm tip next Monday, Jan. 28.